Suggested reading mentioned in Today's Class:

4 Responses to “Suggested reading mentioned in Today's Class:”

  1. # Blogger katie*

    I don't think people realize how important the oceans really in to Canada and how much they provide for us. I think it is a good idea to start having protected marine features and start programs that will help the oceasn today and in the future.  

  2. # Blogger Matty

    I think I speak for most people when I say that this course really open's your eyes about what humans are and are not doing to help the ocean. Just being in class for a week and being provided with links such as this; it is amazing how much I thought I knew about the ocean. We really need to act and not theorize anymore. The future is now!  

  3. # Blogger CBEMN

    Katie and Matt;
    We have a lot of work to do!
    Cathy  

  4. # Blogger Andrea Coombs

    I think a major problem with today's water management (forgive me for going slightly off topic, as this specific example has to do with fresh water but I'm sure there are more out there...) is the fractured way environment components are dealt with in Canada. For instance, in Nova Scotia, all fresh water fish are the responsibility of Inland Fisheries, a provincial department - so they look after the endangered Atlantic Whitefish. But Atlantic Salmon, also threatened in Nova Scotia, are a federal responsibility - so management decisions that could be made to benefit both fish are not. Often it comes down to people disagreeing and meetings going round and round and nothing getting done because there are "too many cooks in the kitchen".  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Blog was initiated as part of the inaugural "Sustainability Across the Curriculum" workshop, held at SMU on May 12, 2010. This is part of the Teacher Scholar programme for 2010-2011. If you have any posts, curriculum, ideas or inspired content that you would like to include, please send it to Dr. Cathy Conrad, the 2010-2011 Teaching Scholar, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography. I look forward to moderating this site and linking useful and relevant information. I hope you find it useful!



XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Ocean Use and Management | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.