Grassroots for the Ocean

9 Responses to “Grassroots for the Ocean”

  1. # Blogger Stephanie

    Well, it seems like a really awesome video but it keeps cutting out for me around 2:16... anyone else having that problem? Or know how to fix it? I would really like to see the whole thing.  

  2. # Blogger Martha

    The video worked great for me. It really bothers me it see all of that waste being dumped into our oceans. There are so many animlas that call it home and there are some that we dont even know about and to think of the damage that we have caused them. On a happy note, I got to swim with dolphins once. They are really interesting and smart animals.  

  3. # Blogger AdamHarris

    I started watching this video and really wanted it to be summer so I could go to the beach. Then it showed all the waste we dump into the ocean and I changed my mind. We really have to do something about this problem.  

  4. # Blogger Dan Morash

    This video shows it all, the problems that are taking place right now. It is depressing to think regions have beaches that are overwhelmed with garbage like in the video, and that fish stocks are not only being threatened by over fishing, but also by dumping of toxic waste into our oceans. Something really has to be done about these problems sooner then later. However, the governments of the world tent to leave problems like these go until the likelihood of fixing them is impossible.  

  5. # Blogger Erinn

    I live near a lake and most of the images reminded me of how gross and sad it is that I can’t swim there. When I was really young my family use to go there and swim and skate, now we live on a street that has a creek that runs into the lake and we don’t go near either of them. It has the worse smell to it and flies everywhere in the summer. The lake has everything in it from microwaves, bikes, to car parts. It’s disgusting, I would love for someday to go swimming there again, but that is not going to happen anytime soon. This is happening to many of the lakes and beaches in Dartmouth and it mostly likely will get worse. Living in a province of lakes and beaches one would think that the government and the citizens would have more of a want to fix this problem.  

  6. # Blogger Chelsea Adams

    I like how the clip expressed both sides; yes we have a problem that needs to stop, but we are starting to recognize that and do something about it. Alot of people just get depressed and think "what's the point now?"..but it's important to realize with dramatic actions, we can change our lifestyles in regards to ocean management.  

  7. # Blogger Andrea Coombs

    The thing I like about the video is the positive faces - the joy that is shown by people in the ocean, using it and cleaning it up... it really gives me hope. I also like how it illustrates how important the oceans are to us recreationally - if there is one thing that I have learned at university, it is: No matter how important an ecosytsem/animal/plant may be ecologically, illustrate how important it is to people and action will be taken much quicker.  

  8. # Blogger jeremytibbetts

    people can clean up the beaches all the wont.. but until the source of the problem(s) is dealt with... it will be an endless battle... it needs to be awholistic approach to solving this problem... but also.. do something is better than doing nothing... i will be out doing my part on the 3rd of march...  

  9. # Blogger katie*

    What an awsome video! it really does show it all and i think its great that so many people and organizations care about the oceans and want to clean them up. Under the oceans surface is so beautiful, i wish everyone could see it and then maybe they would think twice about what they put in it. I also think its great for that organization to help stop pollutors.  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Blog was initiated as part of the inaugural "Sustainability Across the Curriculum" workshop, held at SMU on May 12, 2010. This is part of the Teacher Scholar programme for 2010-2011. If you have any posts, curriculum, ideas or inspired content that you would like to include, please send it to Dr. Cathy Conrad, the 2010-2011 Teaching Scholar, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography. I look forward to moderating this site and linking useful and relevant information. I hope you find it useful!



XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Ocean Use and Management | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.