Thursday, Feb. 8: Bottom Trawling

11 Responses to “Thursday, Feb. 8: Bottom Trawling”

  1. # Blogger Erinn

    WOW!!! that is awesome! the website that you can go to from it is also really good, I watched the video about 'Defending our Oceans'.I liked the messaged and the visuals that I had to send it to all my friends and family. I love the part where the Green Peace(I think its them)is writing on the boat, I think it said "Stolen Fish". It's funny but not at the same time!
    http://oceans.greenpeace.org  

  2. # Blogger Chelsea Adams

    Bahahaha!!! I love it! The more awareness the better! This one is definitly being passed on to friends...  

  3. # Blogger BrittanyM

    hahaha... amazing. I will be passing it along to some friends aswell!  

  4. # Blogger AdamHarris

    This is a great way to engage people that normally wouldn't pay attention to this issue. It's also hilarious.  

  5. # Blogger katie*

    HAHA!!! Its a good video, but its sad that they have to make a funny cartoon to address such a serious issue, but if thats what it takes to get people to watch it they should make more movies about other serious issues. I feel bad for the little orange squid too!  

  6. # Blogger jeremytibbetts

    i agree with katie... the seriousness of the issue could be down played to the humor of the video... but its not the medium that is important.. but the message...  

  7. # Blogger kelena kelly

    HAHA, very funny and a awesome way to spread the news because everyone loves humour and will share with friends.  

  8. # Blogger Martha

    hehe, this one is really good. I have already made many people watch it. I havent had a chance to go to the link but I am going to soon, I want to see what else is there.  

  9. # Blogger Mark H

    it's alwayse our fault to the americans  

  10. # Blogger sab.t

    The link to the green peace site has some amazing photos by Daniel Beltra...mostly icebergs in the Southern Ocean when they went to try and put a stop to some whaling...really quite incredible.  

  11. # Blogger Scott Sawler

    Its so true that americans always blame canada for problems, but in this case it really is as we have done very little to help stop bottom trawling. Not only do we allow it in our territorial sea, but we also encourage others to do so in the high seas by our reluctance to agree to the moratorium on bottom trawling in the high seas. This issue makes me sick to my stomach and I believe that although this comic will spread the word I really doubt a little cartoon will have much of an impact. Does anyone really take south park cartoons seriously, I doubt it, and if they did I would be concerned. Still funny however but not gonna help the fight against bottom trawling.  

Post a Comment

My Photo
Name:
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Blog was initiated as part of the inaugural "Sustainability Across the Curriculum" workshop, held at SMU on May 12, 2010. This is part of the Teacher Scholar programme for 2010-2011. If you have any posts, curriculum, ideas or inspired content that you would like to include, please send it to Dr. Cathy Conrad, the 2010-2011 Teaching Scholar, Associate Professor of the Department of Geography. I look forward to moderating this site and linking useful and relevant information. I hope you find it useful!



XML

Powered by Blogger



© 2006 Ocean Use and Management | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.